Saturday 3 December 2016

Manchester United to hijack Chelsea's bid for Stoke keeper Begovic

Published 06/07/2015 | 08:03

Asmir Begovic is in demand
Asmir Begovic is in demand

Manchester United could hijack Chelsea's move for Stoke goalkeeper Asmir Begovic.

  • Go To

Jose Mourinho has identified Begovic as the ideal replacement for Petr Cech, who completed a controversial switch to Arsenal last week.

Chelsea have since been in negotiations with Stoke over a fee. However, The Mirror claims Begovic's head could be turned by potential interest from United.

This is because United are on the lookout for a new No 1 at Old Trafford, with David de Gea likely to join Real Madrid. And this gives United a huge advantage because Chelsea can only offer Begovic a No 2 role behind Thibaut Courtois.

Chelsea have already had a £6 million offer for Begovic rejected and are now considering a fresh £8 million bid.

GettyImages-463600382.jpg  

Meanwhile, according to Spanish publication Cuatro, De Gea has confirmed he will return to United for pre-season training on Monday despite reports linking him with a move to Madrid.

De Gea remains determined to join Real but United want £33 million, reports The Manchester Evening News.

"Real Madrid? I have to return to Manchester for pre-season," De Gea said.

During a bizarre phone call last week, The Mirror adds that Louis van Gaal told a Spanish journalist he was "angry" about the De Gea situation and that United feel their No 1 has been unsettled by reports emerging from Madrid over the last six months.

Turkish publication Vatan says United have launched a £25 million bid for Galatasaray keeper Fernando Muslera.

Local media describe the bid as "crazy" and that it is likely to tempt Galatasaray into selling the 29 year-old.

Elsewhere, and away from goalkeepers, former France boss Raymond Domenech has urged Southampton midfielder Morgan Schneiderlin to quit the south-coast club and join United this summer.

The Sun reports that, although Saints have qualified for the Europa League next season, all Schneiderlin's rivals for a place in France's midfield - Paul Pogba, Blaise Matuidi and Maxime Gonalons - will be playing Champions League next term.

Domenech is quoted as saying: "For him, Manchester United's a good move. If he wants to be with te Frech team, he has to be in the Champions League. If he stays at Southampton, no luck."

United have agreed to sell young striker Angelo Henriquez to Dinamo Zagreb.

The 21-year-old Chilean was loaned to the Croatian club last season and United have decided not to give him another chance back in England, reports The MEN.

SOCCER Ramos 1.jpg  

Sergio Ramos's Spain team-mate Andres Iniesta doesn't think the defender will be sold to Man United this summer, reveals The Mirror.

United had a £35 million bid for the centre-back rejected - despite Ramos reportedly telling Madrid to enter into negotiations.

"I've always said that Ramos is one of the best centre-backs in the world," said Iniesta, when asked about the possibility of Ramos moving. "I don't think they'll let him go."

A furious Cristiano Ronaldo even stormed out of an interview after being questioned on the future of Ramos.

Ronaldo was pressed on the issue during an interview with SNTV at the weekend, in which he offered a lukewarm reply.

"I don't know," he said, before reiterating to the broadcaster, "I don't know."

The Portugal star then immediately took off his microphone and headphones as the conversation was brought to an abrupt halt.

In a further Ronaldo development, France Football claims United and PSG have been given a huge boost in their hunt for the Portuguese, with Real Madrid apparently actively looking to sell him.

Ronaldo, we are told, is facing an uncertain future at Madrid with new manager Rafael Benitez planning to build his team around Gareth Bale.

The incredible claim comes from a respected publication which goes on to say that Madrid would prefer to sell to PSG as part of a partnership which could see several players change clubs.

PANews_P-85427926-2907-4601-a869-974a5f5306d3_I1.jpg  

Robin van Persie's agent has played down speculation that the Holland striker is on the verge of leaving United.

Van Persie is back in Cheshire following his summer break amid reports he has agreed personal terms over a four-year contract at Fenerbahce.

However, it is understood that no deal has been struck between United and the Turkish club, and sources close to Van Persie insist that he wants to see out the remaining year of his contract at Old Trafford.

His representative, Kees Voss, told Voetbal International: "If Robin had found a new club, we would have announced it. And I'm in the Netherlands right now. All I can say that on Monday Robin will simply report at Manchester United for the first training session."

United winger Nani, on the other hand, has arrived in Istanbul to complete a move to Fenerbahce.

The 28-year-old Portugal international, who spent last season on loan at Sporting Lisbon, was greeted by huge crowds on Sunday evening as he jetted in ahead of a medical.

"I really am very happy to be here now," he said. "I see this as a new opportunity in my career. This is an opportunity for me to show myself. I want to be successful.

"I've seen all these fans coming out for me and I was really happy. I want to show them my best football. I always do the best that I can."

Nicolas Gaitan wants to move to Manchester United as quicly as possible after agreeing personal terms, according to The Daily Express.

The pacy attacker has apparently decided he wants to go NOW and United are looking to agree a fee with Benfica.

And finally, United are ready to sign Bolton striker Zach Clough after months of scouting.

The Daily Star says the 20-year-old is one of the most exciting talents in the lower leagues, and has been linked with Arsenal in the past.

Read more: David de Gea confirms he is staying at Manchester United - for now

Telegraph.co.uk

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport