Sunday 25 September 2016

Man United weighing up €70m move for Robert Lewandowski to replace Wayne Rooney

Jack De Menzes

Published 22/12/2015 | 08:32

Bayern Munich's Robert Lewandowski
Bayern Munich's Robert Lewandowski

Manchester United could look to address their problems in front of goal with a €70m summer move for Bayern Munich striker Robert Lewandowski, although they will need to fend off interest from Real Madrid in order to land the Poland international.

  • Go To

Spanish newspaper Mundo Deportivo reports this morning that United will look to lure the 27-year-old to Old Trafford at the end of the season to replace struggling captain Wayne Rooney, while his arrival would spearhead an attack that has been miles off the pace this season.

Pep Guardiola’s decision to leave Bayern at the end of the season could spring a flurry of exits from the Bundesliga club, although Real remain favourites to land the former Borussia Dortmund striker.

Liverpool are close to finalising their first signing under Jurgen Klopp after midfielder Marko Grujic agreed a five-year deal with the club ahead of a proposed £5m move in the summer, according to the Liverpool Echo. Grujic has made it no secret that he is on the verge of a move to Anfield and he will fly to Merseyside this week to undergo a medical and agree terms, although the £5m figure will be offset by a £730,000 fee due to Grijic remaining with Red Star Belgrade on loan for the rest of the season.

Liverpool are also said to be considering a move for Marseille goalkeeper Steve Mandanda, following poor performances from Simon Mignolet and Adam Bogdan in recent weeks. Bogdan was at fault for the opener in the weekend’s 3-0 defeat by Watford, and Klopp has been linked with making a move for a new goalkeeper already since taking the reins at the club. However, they could face competition for Mandanda’s signature from Merseyside rivals Everton, who are already looking at replacements for Tim Howard, according to French TV broadcasters Canal+.

Tottenham are ready to relaunch their interest in West Bromwich Albion striker Saido Berahino, according to the Telegraph, and despite seeing their £23m summer offer rejected by West Brom, Spurs believe they can open the bidding at around £15m. Berahino has fallen out of Tony Pulis’s first team and has played twice for the Under-21 side this month, with the player struggling for form this season. Relations between the two clubs are said to have been repaired since the summer falling out, although a fresh bid for Berahino could see matters take a turn for the worse.

If Spurs fail to land Berahino, then they could turn to former Manchester City striker Alvaro Negredo in a bid to provide back-up for Harry Kane. The Daily Mail reports that the Valencia forward has been included on a shortlist of transfer targets seen as plan B options should Daniel Levy fail in his attempt to sign Berahino.

Negredo has struggled for regular football this season after making just five starts, although new Valencia manager Gary Neville has included the 30-year-old in all four of his matches so far.

Finally, Riyad Mahrez’s agent has claimed that the in-form Leicester midfielder is likely to stay at the King Power Stadium through to the end of the season, despite links with Arsenal and Tottenham in the January transfer window. Kamel Bengougam told Sky Sports: "I don't think Leicester want to sell him and he is focused on doing well with them. I think he will stay in January."

(© Independent News Service)

West Brom's Saido Berahino
West Brom's Saido Berahino

Independent News Service

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport