Liverpool complete second summer signing with capture of Burnley striker Danny Ings
Published 08/06/2015 | 09:55
Liverpool have agreed a deal to sign out-of-contract Burnley striker Danny Ings on July 1, subject to a medical.
The England Under-21 international's current deal with the Clarets expires on June 30 but the recently-relegated club will be entitled to compensation because of the player's age.
Press Association Sport understands Liverpool remain hopeful they can come to a satisfactory arrangement with Burnley without the need for the player's valuation to be decided by a tribunal despite their initial offer being turned down.
"Burnley Football Club has rejected an offer made by Liverpool but will continue to have dialogue with the club in order to reach a resolution over the fee," said a Burnley statement.
The Reds have been in talks with Ings for some weeks and confirmed the deal in a statement which said: "Liverpool FC are delighted to announce that they have agreed personal terms with Danny Ings and, subject to a medical, the striker will join the club on July 1 after his contract with Burnley has expired."
Ings, in his first top-flight campaign, scored 11 goals in 35 league appearances last season - more than Liverpool's leading scorer Steven Gerrard, who managed nine in 29 matches.
The 22-year-old netted 21 times in Burnley's promotion campaign the previous season and will feature for England Under-21s at the European Championships which start later this month.
He is the club's second signing of the summer after Manchester City midfielder James Milner last week agreed to join on a free transfer when his contract at the Etihad Stadium expires.