Everton fail with £19m bid for Manchester United midfielder Morgan Schneiderlin
Manchester United have rejected a £19 million bid from Everton for midfielder Morgan Schneiderlin.
Everton have made the Frenchman a prime January target, with manager Ronald Koeman eager to be reunited with a player who excelled under him during their time at Southampton.
But United are unwilling to part with the 27-year-old for less than the £24 million they paid to Saints 18 months ago. Although it has become increasingly apparent Schneiderlin is not part of Jose Mourinho’s plans, United are taking a tough negotiating stance.
Mourinho said last week that United had received no bid considered acceptable for the player.
“We have not received one single offer that we are going to accept,” Mourinho said. “I don’t want to sell players. The club and the board is totally with me but, if a player is not having lots of minutes and really wants to leave, we have no right to stop him if the conditions are our conditions.”
West Bromwich Albion had a £13 million bid for the midfielder rejected in December and were thought to be preparing another offer. But it is Koeman who has made his move, the Dutchman also eager to add another of United’s fringe players – Memphis Depay – to the Everton squad in January.
Everton believe the player would prefer to join Koeman, a manager he knows and trusts. It would appear there is more talking to be done between the United and Everton board before that will be possible. United will be aware Everton have funds available and Koeman has not hidden his desire to add as much quality as possible to his squad.
Although Everton are a respectable seventh in the league following their 3-0 win over Southampton on Monday, Koeman’s long-term goal is to build a team capable of qualifying for the Champions League.
The funds are available, but the danger for the Merseyside club this month is being quoted inflated prices for players, with rival clubs aware that Everton’s biggest shareholder, Farhad Moshiri, will bankroll Koeman’s rebuilding plans.
United have several players who have struggled to make an impression on Mourinho since he replaced Louis van Gaal, but agreeing cut-price transfers does not look to be on the agenda. Everton must now decide if they are prepared to go in much higher. Such is Koeman’s interest in the player, it appears likely a second offer will follow.
Independent.ie Comments Facility
INM has taken the decision to remove the commenting facility on its online platform Independent.ie to minimise the legal risk to our business that arises from Ireland's draconian libel awards system.
We continue to look forward to receiving comments through direct email contact or via social media, some of which may still be featured on the website Independent.ie