Sport Soccer

Friday 22 September 2017

Transfer Watch: United reveal second bid for fabregas

Barcelona's Cesc Fabregas. Picture credit: Andrew Milligan/PA Wire.
Barcelona's Cesc Fabregas. Picture credit: Andrew Milligan/PA Wire.
Out-of-favour Nikica Jelavic could be a target for a number of clubs

David Moyes has confirmed that United "have made a second offer" for Cesc Fabregas, but that it was being handled by chief executive Ed Woodward.

"When you're interested in good players, you want to give it every opportunity to materialise," Moyes said, "and I'll do that."

Last night, however, it was reported in the Catalan press that Barcelona had said no for a second time.

Fabregas, after two seasons at Barcelona, is still struggling to nail down a midfield spot – he has been unable to find a regular place with Xavi, Andres Iniesta and Sergio Busquets continuing to be so dominant.

Ronaldo will stay with Real - Mourhinho

Jose Mourinho thinks Cristiano Ronaldo will commit his future to Real Madrid.

Mourinho left the Bernabeu to make a return to the Premier League for a second spell as Chelsea manager, and there has been speculation Ronaldo would do the same.

Manchester United seem the most likely destination for the world's most expensive player, for whom Madrid paid United £80m in 2009.

"I know Ronaldo loves Man United and I know he loves the Premier League, but I think he is going to stay," Mourinho said. "It's just a feeling, no contact, nothing just a feeling."

Likely lads

Velez Sarsfield expect Argentina full-back Gino Peruzzi to complete his move to Sunderland after the Wearside club received assurances about his fitness.

The 21-year-old defender had hoped to put pen to paper during a visit to England last week but, having agreed personal terms, the transfer was put on hold when his medical revealed concerns over a ligament injury suffered last season.

Peruzzi was subsequently sent to see specialist Professor Pier Paolo Mariani at the Clinica Deportiva Villa Stuart in Rome, and was given a programme to address the problem.

He is due to return to England when the Black Cats, who are currently in Hong Kong for the Barclays Asia Trophy, and owner and chairman Ellis Short head back to the north-east.

Hamburg sporting director Oliver Kreuzer has admitted his side are keen on Everton striker Nikica Jelavic. Kreuzer claims the Toffees have expressed a willingness to do business.

With Roberto Martinez having snapped up Arouna Kone from former employers Wigan Athletic, he is said to be prepared to part with Jelavic.

The Croatia international did struggle at times last season, netting just eight goals in all competitions, but showed during his early days at Goodison Park what he is capable of – as he scored 11 times in 16 appearances after completing a move from Rangers in January 2012.

Hibernian manager Pat Fenlon has made a £200,000 bid for former Ireland U-21 striker James Collins.

The Swindon attacker has emerged as a target for the former Bohemians and Shelbourne boss as he seeks to fill the void left by top scorer Leigh Griffiths, who has returned to Wolves after a loan spell.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport