Swansea resist Everton approach for Ashley Williams as Gylfi Sigurdsson signs on
Published 02/08/2016 | 13:21
Swansea enjoyed a successful day of business as they tied Gylfi Sigurdsson to a new four-year deal and then rejected a bid from Everton for Ashley Williams.
Captain Williams' eight-year stay with the club looked to be coming to an end, with Everton understood to have prepared a £10million offer for the 31-year-old.
The offer was rejected, though, with a Swansea club spokesman saying: "We are not looking to sell him, and therefore we have turned down the offer currently on the table."
Williams has become the defensive rock of not just his club but also his country, captaining Wales to the semi-finals of Euro 2016. He has made close to 350 appearances for Swansea since joining from Stockport in 2008 and is regarded as one of the best defenders in the Premier League.
It was a second piece of good news for Swans fans in the wake of Sigurdsson signing his deal.
The Iceland international, who had two years left on his previous contract at the Liberty Stadium, announced the deal on his personal Instagram account.
"Delighted to have signed a new 4 year deal with @swansofficial. Looking forward to the new season!" Sigurdsson said.
Sigurdsson joined Swansea from Tottenham in 2014 for £6.8million after previously enjoying a successful loan spell in south Wales two years earlier while a Hoffenheim player.
The 26-year-old scored 11 goals in 37 appearances last season and was named Swansea's player of the year in May.
The Swans were keen to agree a new deal after Sigurdsson shone during Iceland's remarkable run to the quarter-finals of Euro 2016, his performances reportedly attracting the interest of Premier League champions Leicester and Everton among others.
"Despite interest from a number of clubs over the summer, Sigurdsson has committed to the Swans by penning a new deal until June 2020," said a statement on the official Swansea website.
Sigurdsson only reported back for club duty on Monday following Iceland's exploits in France, and he insists that Swansea continue to head in the right direction.
"I am very happy. It's a place I like to live and play football in, so I'm very happy to have a new four-year contract," Sigurdsson told the official club website.
"It says a lot about what the club think of me.
"The main reason is that I'm very happy playing football here. I feel very good and it's a great team with a great bunch of lads.
"With the training ground extension being finished at Fairwood and the facility in Landore, the club is moving in the right direction and it's something I want to be a part of.
"At the end of last season we were getting better and where we should be. We were winning games, which was a lot better than the first half of last year.
"We've been discussing the contract for a long period of time. It slowed down a little with the takeover, so it took longer than expected.
"We had the Euros as well, of course, so I was away for five or six weeks, so it's nice that it's finally done and I can concentrate on football and get ready for the season."
News of Sigurdsson's new contract will come as a relief to Swansea manager Francesco Guidolin and the club's fans after what has been a difficult pre-season.
The summer departures of Eder, Alberto Paloschi and Bafetimbi Gomis have left Swansea extremely short of forward options.
Andre Ayew, who scored 12 goals last season, has also been the subject of strong interest from West Ham who have reportedly made a £20million bid for the Ghana forward.