Sturridge on mend after operation to fix hip injury
Liverpool striker Daniel Sturridge has had an operation on his hip joint in an attempt to reach full fitness ahead of next season.
Sturridge posted a picture of himself in a hospital bed in New York and confirmed that he had undergone a procedure on his injured hip.
"Just want to let the world know I've had a successful operation on my hip today and I want to thank God for allowing that to be possible," said Sturridge.
"Onwards and upwards from here. Thanks for the support," added the Liverpool striker, who will now begin a programme of rehabilitation which is expected to take six weeks.
It is the second time this season that Sturridge - who has made just 12 starts and six substitute appearances, scoring only five goals - has travelled to the States in an attempt to solve his ongoing fitness issues.
Towards the end of a five-month absence with a thigh problem sustained on international duty in early September, which was followed by a calf strain, Sturridge was dispatched across the Atlantic, where he spent 10 days in Los Angeles as part of his rehabilitation.
He then flew back to the east coast to work with the medical staff at baseball side Boston Red Sox, the other major sporting venture of Liverpool's owners Fenway Sports Group.
After spending some time there, the Liverpool striker, who agreed a new £140,000-a-week deal last October, travelled back to the west coast to continue his rehabilitation in California, eventually returning to England where he made his comeback as a substitute in the 2-0 win at West Ham on January 31.
However, injury problems returned - this time associated with his hip - and he has not featured for a month since playing 85 minutes of the FA Cup quarter-final replay at Blackburn.
The 25-year-old's absence has proven damaging to Liverpool's hopes of securing a top-four place.
There has been frustration over Sturridge's ongoing injury problems but the club recognised that they had to find a solution for one of their prized assets and sent him back to the United States last week for further assessments with a specialist.
Even if Sturridge recovers in time for Liverpool's pre-season programme, manager Brendan Rodgers is determined to recruit "marquee" attacking players in the summer.
PSV Eindhoven winger Memphis Depay is regarded as a priority signing but the Merseysiders face competition from Manchester United and Paris Saint-Germain.
Aston Villa's Christian Benteke is another likely target but any deal could be complicated by the prospect of a takeover at the Midlands club this summer.
Villa's asking price of over £30m could be another stumbling block if Liverpool fail to offload some of their fringe players.
Divock Origi is already scheduled to link up with the club for pre-season after spending the campaign back on loan with Lille and Rodgers is expecting a busy summer of ins and outs.
Glen Johnson will depart on a free transfer, while there are doubts over the futures of Mario Balotelli, Rickie Lambert, Lucas Leiva and Fabio Borini.
Meanwhile, Jimmy Greaves faces a "long and slow road to recovery" after suffering a severe stroke last Sunday.
A statement from Greaves' wife Irene read: "Jimmy is having to do what he is told, and understands the seriousness of what has happened to him. It is going to be a long, slow road to recovery and he is in the best possible hands."
His agent Terry Baker confirmed Greaves is "conscious but unable to speak". The 75-year-old had a minor stroke in 2012. (© Daily Telegraph, London)