Steve McClaren demands Newcastle response after spanking at Everton
Published 04/02/2016 | 04:36
Newcastle head coach Steve McClaren has called for an immediate reaction from his side after accusing them of an unacceptable performance in the 3-0 defeat at Everton.
Ross Barkley scored two penalties - the second of which saw substitute Jamaal Lascelles sent off - very late on to add to a first-half goal from Aaron Lennon.
The Magpies have taken just five points from their last eight fixtures and remain two points from safety and McClaren was less than impressed with their display at Goodison Park.
"We need a reaction from individuals and collectively," he said.
"52,000 people will demand a reaction against West Brom on Saturday.
"We have said you can't waste a game now and that's what we've done.
"Some of them know they have fallen short and that is why we lost.
"That is not what we have come to expect and you can't afford to do that with games ebbing away.
"We had bad results against Leicester and Crystal Palace (in November) where that (attitude) was questioned but since then it has been excellent.
"I felt it was disappointing we returned to that level and that is unacceptable."
To add insult to the defeat defenders Chancel Mbemba and Paul Dummett both went off injured before half-time to leave McClaren's resources at the back stretched even further.
"In terms of things that can go wrong they did go wrong in terms of injuries. We just have to dust ourselves down and see who we have got fit," he added.
"Whatever that team has to be committed and fight."
Everton manager Roberto Martinez marked his 100th Premier League match in charge at Goodison with his 40th win - and only a second home clean sheet of the season.
Barkley was at the heart of their best moves and Martinez paid tribute to the England midfielder on his own 100th Premier League appearance.
"Probably last year and the season before he was a young man with enormous potential, today he showed he is not a young man any more in footballing terms," he said.
"He is a player who is ready to lead the team; his decision-making has gone to a different level and I don't think he is a potential player any more."
Everton lost leading scorer Romelu Lukaku to a back injury at half-time and the striker is a doubt for Saturday's trip to Stoke while defender John Stones missed the game with a hamstring problem and will but out a little longer.
"He (Lukaku) couldn't walk. He had a knee in his back and tried to run it off in the first half and couldn't," said Martinez.
"We are playing on Saturday and it will be difficult to see him make it but it is not a major problem.
"Stones had a bit of a niggle in his hamstring and he had a scan yesterday and it was all clear.
"I think it was a fatigue reaction. He is 21 and at this stage has played more games than at any time in his professional career.
"I expect him to be back in the next week or 10 days."