Wednesday 22 February 2017

Sexism row: Massey taken off weekend game

Published 28/01/2011 | 12:47

Sian Massey, the match official at the centre of a sexism storm this week, will not take charge of her planned match this weekend due to the intense media attention.

  • Go To

Massey, who was the target of sexist remarks by Sky Sports presenters Richard Keys and Andy Gray last week, had been due to referee Corby Town versus Eastwood Town in the Blue Square Bet North league.



The Professional Game Match Officials (PGMO) organisation took the decision after consulting with Massey, 25, after Corby reported a huge demand for access by television crews.



A PGMO spokesman told Press Association Sport: "The focus needs to be on the football match not the officials. It would be unfair on the clubs involved."



The Premier League, who speak on behalf of the PGMO, refused to comment on whether there would be any financial loss for Massey after she was withdrawn from the second game this week - she had been due to be an assistant referee in the Crewe v Bradford match in midweek.



The managers of the clubs had had no issue with Massey being the referee - Corby boss Graham Drury said earlier this week: "We've had Sian before and she had a fantastic game.



"She stamps her authority on the game and she interacts with players well. We've got a top referee for this game. The sex of the person in the middle doesn't affect me.



"I don't mind whether it's a man, woman or even an elephant refereeing a game of mine - as long as they do it properly."



Press Association

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport