Sunday 11 December 2016

Rooney's lawyers claim victory in legal row with management firm

Published 01/12/2011 | 10:42

SOCCER star Wayne Rooney's lawyers today claimed victory in the latest round of a multi-million pound legal fight with a sports management firm.

  • Go To

Proactive, which used to represent Rooney and his wife Coleen, said it was owed commission payments and made a £4.3m (€5m) claim against the 26-year-old Manchester United and England striker.



The Court of Appeal today delivered judgment after a hearing in London.



A solicitor representing Rooney said after today's ruling that judges had concluded that an "image rights agreement" between the star and Proactive was "unenforceable".



And Paul Hughes said Proactive had not succeeded in its claim for £4.3m.



He said judges had ruled in Proactive's favour on one point and in Rooney's favour on other points.



"We are delighted," said Mr Hughes. "We have most certainly won."



Rooney claimed victory after the first round of litigation in July last year.



Judge Brendan Hegarty QC ruled that Rooney should pay £5,000, and his wife around £90,000, following a hearing at Manchester Mercantile Court.



Proactive appealed, during a hearing at the Court of Appeal in London in July this year, and asked three appeal judges to overturn the ruling.



Rooney argued that Judge Hegarty's ruling was correct and said the appeal should be dismissed.



The three appeal judges - Lady Justice Arden, Lord Justice Sullivan and Lord Justice Gross - announced their decision today.



Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport