Sport Soccer

Saturday 10 December 2016

Robbie Keane will not be returning to Dublin to play for Shamrock Rovers

Sean O'Grady

Published 23/11/2016 | 07:29

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Soccer fans here had hoped Robbie Keane would be coming home after announcing he was leaving LA Galaxy – but his wife Claudine has poured cold water on the idea.

  • Go To

The Tallaght man announced earlier this week he would be departing the US team, where he serves as captain, when his contract expires at the end of this year.

However, Claudine has quashed rumours they were to move back to Dublin and insisted they would not return to Ireland permanently for at least a few more years.

“So many people are asking ‘are we moving back to Ireland?’. We will be home for Christmas but not for long, maybe in a few more years from now,” she wrote on social media.

Keane, who retired from international football earlier this Robbie Keane will not be returning to Dublin to play for Shamrock Rovers year after scoring 68 goals in 146 appearances for the Irish team, has spent six years with the Galaxy.

It was thought by many he could move to Tallaght Stadium after he was said to have had “exploratory talks” with Shamrock Rovers, as Keane has close ties with some of the Rovers staff.

The model mum also put an end to that speculation when answering a fan who wanted to know would he be joining the team.

“No, first we heard of that. It’s just a rumour, no truth to it,” she said.

Keane’s announcement comes soon after his close pal Steven Gerrard played his final game for LA Galaxy on November 6.

In his farewell statement, the 36-year-old Keane insisted he had no plans to retire from the sport.

“I believe that now is the right time for a new challenge as I look towards the next chapter of my playing career,” he said.

“I still feel as fit and sharp as ever and I am looking forward to my next adventure.

“Having now retired from international football I am ready to focus everything I have on one last major challenge in club football and will be taking time out to consider my options before announcing my next move.”

LA Galaxy forward Giovani dos Santos paid tribute to both Keane and Gerrard after the pair revealed their decisions.

“It’s been a pleasure and honour playing alongside two legends, Robbie Keane and Steven Gerrard,” he said. “You both have helped me in every aspect and I am beyond thankful for your guidance and friendship on and off the field. I will miss you both and wish you two the best of luck in the future.”

While the famous couple’s next move is still uncertain, Claudine has insisted they have no plans to sell their luxurious mansion in Beverly Hills.

After five years living in one of the wealthiest areas of Los Angeles, the pair have come to view the city as their “second home” and don’t want to lose the house they have raised their children Robert (7) and one-year-old Hudson in.

They have made the most of their time living stateside and have attended several celebrity-filled events over the years, including the Grammy Awards, the Emmys and, most recently, the American Music Awards, where they cheered on pal Niall Horan as he performed.

Online Editors

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport