Rhodes deal dead - Bruce
Published 27/08/2014 | 11:11
Hull boss Steve Bruce has said a potential deal to sign Blackburn striker Jordan Rhodes is "dead and buried".
It was reported last week that Bruce was keen on bringing the prolific Championship striker to the KC Stadium following the departure of Shane Long to Southampton for £12million earlier this month.
Bruce reported Blackburn were open to selling their star asset, but that they had changed their minds, with the former Wigan and Sunderland boss now conceding defeat in his pursuit of the Scotland international.
"It's dead and buried," Bruce said.
"We got an indication from Blackburn that they were willing to do a deal and that obviously changed in 24 hours. That's their prerogative.
"If they'd have said that to start with - that he wasn't for sale no matter what we wanted to do - then fine, we'll walk away.
"But unfortunately it gets a bit protracted and last weekend we thought it was close and then all of a sudden he's not for sale, so we'll move on to the next one."
Bruce admitted his frustration at coming so close to landing the 24-year-old, who has scored 53 goals in 93 Championship appearances since joining Rovers two years ago, and blamed the constant scrutiny being placed on the deal.
"It gets into the public domain and all of a sudden it's not going to happen," Bruce added.
"It's disappointing for everybody concerned, but more disappointing, I would presume, for somebody like Jordan."
Perhaps understandably, Bruce was a little more reticent about naming his other targets, but did reveal the club were nearing a deal to boost their forward line.
"We're close to one or two things, very close on one in particular, which will be a fantastic addition if we pull it off, but until it's really, really rubber stamped then I'm not going to say much," he said.
"I really don't want to comment after last week's debacle on Jordan Rhodes. It would be wise of me to say nothing."
One person who has already completed his move to east Yorkshire this week is defender Michael Dawson, who signed a three-year deal from Tottenham for an undisclosed fee on Tuesday.
Bruce is thrilled with his latest acquisition, believing Dawson's maturity at the back will be vital as Hull battle on domestic and European fronts this season.
"We're delighted to get someone of his experience and his ability," Bruce said.
"I've always thought that especially in the centre of defence, a little bit of experience does everybody the world of good.
"It's been a long drawn out process but we eventually got him which I'm delighted about."