Reds takeover in limbo after club cancels board meeting
A LIVERPOOL board meeting scheduled for today to discuss offers for the club has been postponed, providing further evidence of the complications and uncertainty surrounding the club's future.
The decision to postpone was taken amid continuing doubts about the credibility of potential bidders and after the date had been publicised in the media.
A well-placed source said it would have been "premature" to meet this week, indicating that the club were yet to receive any formal offers backed by proof of funds.
Sources said the board would not meet this week and it is unclear when the five-man group -- chairman Martin Broughton, owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett, managing director Christian Purslow and commercial director Ian Ayre -- will now convene.
The delay raises doubts about the club's prospects of changing hands this month, or even before the October 6 refinancing deadline set by Royal Bank of Scotland.
Broughton had asked as many as six potential buyers to table detailed offers, including proof of funds, by the end of this week, in the hope that two might be worth serious consideration. That deadline now looks ambitious.
For fans desperate for clarity on the matter, the postponement is not a positive sign.
Broughton might still emerge from the fog of speculation clutching a piece of paper securing the future of Liverpool FC in the near future, but this does not make it feel any more imminent. (© Daily Telegraph, London)