Window watch: Dortmund make bid for Liverpool target
Published 27/06/2013 | 05:00
Borussia Dortmund have made a €23 million bid for reported Liverpool target Henrikh Mkhitaryan.
Shakhtar Donetsk CEO Sergei Palkin confirmed the Bundesliga side's offer for the 24-year-old midfielder, but insists it falls way short of the club's valuation.
Instead, the Ukrainian outfit want one instalment of €30m for the player, who has gone AWOL after not showing up for pre-season training.
Palkin said: "I don't know where Mkhitaryan is now, solely his agent knows this. Borussia offered €23m for the midfielder. I contacted Mkhitaryan's agent yesterday. I wrote to him about the official position of the club.
"We are prepared to sell Mkhitaryan for €30m, this offer stands for the next 10 days. If Mkhitaryan wishes to leave, they have to pay this amount for him. €30m – one instalment. If there is a club that can pay that amount, we are ready to make a deal."
While Liverpool have been linked with Mkhitaryan as Brendan Rodgers seeks to overhaul his squad, Palkin claims there has been no approach from the Reds.
Arsenal's hopes of signing the Real Madrid striker Gonzalo Higuain have been improved by Carlos Tevez's move to Juventus, says Higuain's brother Nicolas.
"If Tevez joins Juve, is Higuain closer to Arsenal? I think so. Juventus is a great club, but Gonzalo is too expensive for them. Napoli (also linked with the player) are a strong team. (But) I cannot deny that Gonzalo is now close to Arsenal."
Napoli striker Edinson Cavani has asked his parents "a thousand times" to stop discussing his future in public.
The 26-year-old Uruguay international had already been linked with a move to Manchester City before his mother claimed he had held productive talks with both City and Spanish giants Real Madrid.
Comments from his father then suggested Cavani had agreed to join Real, with the capital club apparently haggling over the striker's €63m release clause.
But Cavani, who scored 29 league goals for Napoli last season, has called time on what he considers harmful interfering from his parents.
He told reporters: "My father has talked about Real? I want to point out that these words are not coming from me. I've asked my parents a thousand times not to say any more. They can only hurt me."
Former Manchester City striker Carlos Tevez yesterday completed his £7.6m transfer to Juventus on a three-year deal. "I'm very happy to be with Juventus, it's very satisfying," the Argentinian (right) said. "Juve was the club that wanted me most."
The striker also waved a shirt with Alessandro Del Piero's old No 10 on it from a balcony – the number he will wear next season. Tevez will be unveiled today in Turin.
Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert has confirmed Norwich goalkeeper Jed Steer will become his sixth summer acquisition on July 1. Lambert has already been busy in the transfer market, bringing in defenders Jores Okore and Antonio Luna, midfielders Leandro Bacuna and Aleksandar Tonev, plus Danish striker Nicklas Helenius.
Irish IndependentFollow @IndoSport