Sport Premier League

Tuesday 16 September 2014

Tevez fails to get message as striker hit with six-month driving ban

Gordon Tynan

Published 17/01/2013 | 05:00

  • Share

Carlos Tevez has been banned from driving for six months after ignoring police letters about speeding offences because he did not understand the word "constabulary".

  • Share
  • Go To

The Manchester City striker had pleaded guilty to three offences, including driving without a valid British licence, at a magistrates court hearing. The player's lawyer told magistrates that Tevez, who has played in the Premier League for seven years, had not responded to the letters because he had not understood them.

"He does understand the word 'police', but not more complicated words. The letters are written from Cheshire Constabulary and the word police doesn't appear on it anywhere," Tevez's solicitor, Gwyn Lewis, said. "The word 'constabulary' is not one that is recognised internationally, but of course police is."

Tevez had driven with an Argentinian licence and his lawyer said the striker, who was not present in court, would take a UK driving test once the ban had expired. Reports said Tevez's Humvee was caught on camera exceeding the speed limit in March and May last year. He denied being at the wheel on those occasions but was stopped by police while driving his Porsche Panamera in November without a valid licence. Tevez was also ordered to pay fines and costs of £1,540.

Meanwhile, midfielder Michael Johnson has revealed that mental health problems contributed to the end of his career at City, where he was once tipped as a future England international.

Johnson was released last month after struggling for fitness. He had not played for the club since October 2009 after a succession of injuries.

Redknapp thrilled by Remy capture

The Queen's Park Rangers manager, Harry Redknapp, says Loic Remy has the potential to become a world-class striker after the club confirmed his signing from Marseille for a club record fee.

Remy signed a four-and-a-half-year deal at Loftus Road after choosing QPR over Newcastle. "I didn't think we'd get him, to be honest, but (the chairman) Tony Fernandes worked ever so hard on this. (Remy) has got the potential to be a really outstanding striker," Redknapp said.

Fabricio Coloccini's meeting with Newcastle to discuss his wish to return to Argentina was postponed yesterday.

Irish Independent

Read More

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport