Sunday 30 April 2017

Tevez faces contract suspension over absence

Mark Ogden

Carlos Tevez could have his £198,000-a-week contract suspended by Manchester City if he remains in Argentina and fails to explain his unauthorised absence from the club.

The 27-year-old, who was photographed playing golf at the weekend with leading Argentine golfer Andres Romero, has been absent without leave for more than a week after flying to Buenos Aires on November 7.

And although talks between senior figures at City and Tevez's representatives are continuing, Professional Footballers' Association chief executive Gordon Taylor has admitted that the club would be within their rights to suspend his contract until the player offers a full explanation.

Taylor, who last week accused Tevez of "digging a hole for himself", has urged the former City captain to return to the club without delay.

"If he is not coming back, the club can suspend his contract while there is a proper inquiry into why he went to Argentina without permission," said Taylor.

"There are all sorts of options and I hope it doesn't end up in the courts, but he is high-profile. We will have to abide by the rules. But he needs to get back to his club to get himself fit, make up with the manager and then, if he does leave in January, depart not leaving a bitter taste amongst supporters.

"The longer it goes with him being away it becomes pretty well impossible to reconcile the situation, which is very sad."

Reports in Argentina of Tevez sending a medical certificate to City stating his inability to return remain unconfirmed by the club and by his representatives.

But Taylor admits that he is becoming concerned. "He needs to be playing," Taylor said. "I think it's time now to try to get his mindset changed to a better place. I'm worrying about him now because it's a self-destruct pattern."

Meanwhile, Nemanja Vidic will miss Manchester United's Champions League clash against Benfica next Tuesday following the club's decision not to appeal against the defender's two-match ban for a red card against Otelul Galati last month.

Vidic was dismissed for a late challenge on Galati forward Gabriel Giurgiu during the 2-0 victory in Bucharest. (© Daily Telegraph, London)

Irish Independent

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport