Steve McClaren says he was never tempted by Newcastle job
Published 06/05/2015 | 15:40
Steve McClaren has dealt another blow to Newcastle United by insisting he has no interest in the vacant manager's position - and that he was "never tempted" by the post.
The Derby County manager had been widely linked with a move to St James' Park following the departure of Alan Pardew in December.
Caretaker manager John Carver has struggled desperately since being appointed until the end of the season, and Newcastle now face a fight to save their Premier League status.
There had been suggestions that Newcastle would approach Derby for McClaren in the wake of their failure to reach the Championship play-offs last weekend, and their own 3-0 defeat at fellow strugglers Leicester.
But McClaren has confirmed that he remains "100 percent" committed to County and that he was never interested in a move to the north-east.
He said: "I reiterate what I said on Saturday after the game and what I've said to the board and the players - I'm 100% committed to finishing the job here.
"After the disappointment of the weekend, it's a big job and something that over the next three or four days we are planning to put right.
"I hear the speculation, but I'm 100% committed to Derby County at this point."