Thursday 23 February 2017

Quinn insists Sunderland have no interest in Keane deal

Published 20/01/2011 | 05:00

Chairman Niall Quinn confirmed that the Black Cats need a more physical player then Robbie Keane to replace Bent. Photo: Getty Images
Chairman Niall Quinn confirmed that the Black Cats need a more physical player then Robbie Keane to replace Bent. Photo: Getty Images

NIALL QUINN has ruled out the possibility of Sunderland making a move for Robbie Keane in the January transfer window.

  • Go To

Ireland striker Keane has rejected a move to Stadium of Light in the past, but it had been suggested that the cash from the sale of Darren Bent would give Steve Bruce extra funds to lure a new frontman.

However, Keane is not on their radar, with chairman Quinn confirming that the Black Cats need a more physical player to replace Bent.

"Robbie doesn't quite suit us now," he told KildareTV. "Robbie works well off a big physical player, but we don't have that now. What (Asamoah) Gyan and (Danny) Welbeck need is a physical presence, like Darren."

While Bent's transfer window move to Aston Villa came as a shock, Quinn admitted he knew something was up a month ago.

"Darren is bubbly. He's always in great form. About three or four weeks ago, I came in one day and I felt something was up with him.

"Having been in the game, you kind of know when somebody has something going on in their heads, and it transpired that's what happened," he said. "When the transfer request, came in, that was the final nail. The only job then was to get as good a fee as possible for the club.

"I would never knock him for what has happened. It happens with footballers. In some ways, there'll be people saying you can't blame him, he'll have gotten a very big pay rise. I'd have personally been motivated to try and get the club into Europe first."

Meanwhile, Celtic have confirmed that Olivier Kapo has left the club after just three months. The Frenchman joined in November and made just two appearances for the Hoops. Celtic say they took an option to terminate the former Birmingham and Wigan midfielder's contract this month.

And Fulham have expressed an interest in signing Shaun Wright-Phillips from Manchester City, the player's agent has confirmed. Wright-Phillips (29) looks set to leave City for the second time, having failed to establish himself in Roberto Mancini's expensively assembled first team.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport