Michael Carrick signs new deal to stay with Man United until at least 2015
Michael Carrick has signed a new deal to keep him until 2015 at Manchester United, with the possibility of another year extension.
The deal recognises Carrick's status as one of the central components of David Moyes' revolution and will extend the midfielder's stay at Old Trafford to a full decade.
Carrick told the club's official Twitter account: "It's great to extend my contract at this club. I'm really enjoying my football. I've won many trophies and look forward to more."
Now 32, Carrick joined United for £18million from Tottenham in 2006, since when he has won five Premier League titles, a Champions League crown and the League Cup.
Carrick is currently sidelined with an Achilles injury he aggravated in the Premier League win over Arsenal earlier this month.
However, the former West Ham man has already done enough to convince Moyes he is worthy of a place in his squad.
Moyes said: "I am delighted Michael has extended his contract. During my short time at the club it hasn't been hard to notice that Michael is a great reader of the game and has excellent passing ability. He is an exceptional man and a true professional and it's great that he has committed himself to the club."
Moyes will be delighted to secure the services of such a senior figure, especially at a time when his midfield is under so much scrutiny.
With Carrick and Phil Jones both missing Sunday's trip to Cardiff, the United boss will be selecting from 39-year-old Ryan Giggs, £27.5million new boy Marouane Fellaini, who has taken time to adapt following his summer deadline-day move from Everton, Tom Cleverley and Anderson, who has rarely impressed on a consistent basis in over six years at the club.
There has also been talk of a new deal for skipper Nemanja Vidic, whose agent has quashed talk of a switch to Juventus, while Wayne Rooney's future will continue to be the subject of debate until he signs an extension to his present deal, which is due to expire in 2015.