Manuel Pellegrini knew of Pep Guardiola Manchester City appointment 'one month ago'
Manuel Pellegrini knew Manchester City were working on replacing him with Pep Guardiola a month ago.
The club today announced that Guardiola had agreed a three-year contract and would become the club's new manager from the end of this season.
Ever since Guardiola announced he would be leaving Bayern Munich there had been speculation he would move to the Etihad. However, that was countered by Pellegrini agreeing last summer to extend his contract at Manchester City until 2017.
Pellegrini spoke about the decision during a standard press conference to preview his side's match against Sunderland on Tuesday. He revealed that he had been aware of the decision for a month and that he supported making it public midway through the season.
"Before we finish I will tell you that I talked with the club and I will finish my contract on the original date in June," he said.
"We extended the contract one year more but with the clause that one of the club or me may not use that extended contract. So, I will finish here on the original date, June 30.
"There has been a lot of speculation about things, but they (the club) are not doing anything behind me. I knew this one month ago. I don't think it is good to have speculation about different things. I prefer to finish (by announcing) today - that is why I have told the press and told the players. I told the club two weeks ago that I would do it."
Pellegrini will be keen for the news not to distract or derail Manchester City from the current season in which winning an unprecedented quadruple remains a possibility. The club are three points from the top of the Premier League, in the final of the Capital One Cup, face Chelsea in the fifth round of the FA Cup and take on Dynamo Kiev in the last-16 of the Champions League
Independent News Service
Independent.ie Comments Facility
INM has taken the decision to remove the commenting facility on its online platform Independent.ie to minimise the legal risk to our business that arises from Ireland's draconian libel awards system.
We continue to look forward to receiving comments through direct email contact or via social media, some of which may still be featured on the website Independent.ie