WATCH - Bastian Schweinsteiger sends message to United supporters despite first team exile
Bastian Schweinsteiger has delivered a message to Manchester United fans amid reports that he is being forced out of the club, thanking them for their support and saying he hopes to see them “soon” ahead of the new season.
The German is one of the players who have been told they can leave as United look for extra revenue to finance the world-record £100m transfer of Paul Pogba from Juventus, prompting his brother to post “no respect” on social media this week.
Schweinsteiger, 32, announced his retirement from international football last month and had hoped to focus solely on his Old Trafford career as Jose Mourinho prepares for his first season in charge since replacing predecessor Louis van Gaal in May.
Wearing United’s official training kit, Schweinsteiger said on a video posted to Twitter: “Hi guys, thank you very much for the birthday wishes and the positive comments I received about the national team career, I feel very honoured. I hope we're going to see each other soon. Bye.”
Schweinsteiger has been told he must train with the United Under-23 squad, prompting his brother Tobi to post “no respect” on Twitter this weekend.
The finely-veiled dig at Jose Mourinho, the United manager, added an air of hostility to reports of Schweinsteiger demise.
Thanks to all of you for the birthday wishes and your amazing support! pic.twitter.com/3pYPru1A2y— Basti Schweinsteiger (@BSchweinsteiger) August 2, 2016
Liandro Martis, a trailist at Carrington, appeared to confirm the suggestion that the German has been secluded from the larger group in training.
“I am confident in my ability and after training with the group at Manchester United, including players like Schweinsteiger,” Martis said. AC Milan and Internazionale are reported to be interested in signing the former Bayern Munich midfielder.
Independent.ie Comments Facility
INM has taken the decision to remove the commenting facility on its online platform Independent.ie to minimise the legal risk to our business that arises from Ireland's draconian libel awards system.
We continue to look forward to receiving comments through direct email contact or via social media, some of which may still be featured on the website Independent.ie