Tuesday 24 January 2017

Southampton to resist January move from Manchester United for Virgil van Dijk

Published 11/11/2016 | 19:21

Southampton's Virgil van Dijk
Southampton's Virgil van Dijk

Southampton are braced for a big money offer from Manchester United for defender Virgil van Dijk in the January transfer window, but they have no intention of selling the Dutch defender in the January transfer window, a source has told Independent.ie.

  • Go To

United manager Jose Mourinho is reported to have made Van Dijk his chief transfer target after the former Celtic star made a huge impression in the Premier League following his move from Celtic in the summer of 2015.

Yet Saints believe they will succeed in fending off any interest from big spending United, with the ink barely dry on a six-year contract signed by their reigning Player of the Year last May.

Van Dijk has made it clear to Southampton chiefs that he is happy with the club, who have no need to sell a player being rated as a £30m player after he established himself as one of the best centre-back in the Premier League.

“The club is growing and I definitely want to grow with them, that’s how I feel,” said Van Dijk earlier this year. “Hopefully we can make it happen.

“I’m so happy. Me and my family have enjoyed my time here so much. It’s been amazing. It’s only positive.”

Liverpool have also been strongly linked with a move for Van Dijk, but it seems that the club who have successfully lured a host of players away from Southampton in recent years will not be successful in any pursuit of another target from the south coast club.

Online Editors

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport