Injury crisis hits United ahead of showdown with Arsenal
Published 16/11/2016 | 02:30
Jose Mourinho could be without seven senior players for Saturday's match against Arsenal at Old Trafford - including his entire first-choice defence.
Centre-halves Eric Bailly and Chris Smalling will definitely miss the game - as will the suspended Zlatan Ibrahimovic - while Mourinho has serious doubts over the fitness of captain Wayne Rooney, midfielder Marouane Fellaini and full-backs Antonio Valencia and Luke Shaw.
Rooney is rated as "60-40" to miss the visit of Arsenal after suffering a swollen knee on England duty, while Fellaini is struggling with a calf injury sustained against Swansea.
Valencia has been sidelined for the past three weeks with a broken right arm and, while his recovery is progressing more quickly than expected, the Arsenal match may come too soon for the Ecuador right-back.
Mourinho is waiting to see how Shaw responds in training later this week before making a decision over his availability. The left-back has been hampered by pains in the right leg he broke last season.
Bailly is not expected back until Christmas after suffering knee ligament damage last month and Smalling, who, like Shaw, appeared to have his bravery questioned by Mourinho after missing the Swansea match, has a broken toe, with United refusing to say when they expect to see him back in action. (© Daily Telegraph, London)
Nasri spills the beans on Pep's City sex ban
Samir Nasri has revealed how Pep Guardiola has banned every Manchester City player from having sex later than midnight after claiming the bizarre policy worked wonders for Lionel Messi's fitness.
According to Nasri, Guardiola said the late-night sex ban had been instrumental in helping to get the best out of Lionel Messi at Barcelona, as well as Bayern Munich striker Robert Lewandowski.
"Relations must be before midnight, even if you have a free day the following day," Nasri said. "It's so you have a good night's sleep."
Elsewhere, Chelsea are open to offers for out-of-favour midfielder Oscar, which will spark new interest from Inter Milan and China.
Oscar has lost his place in Antonio Conte's team following the head coach's change to a 3-4-3 formation, and Chelsea are prepared to cash in on the Brazilian.
Inter have shown an interest in Oscar in the past and are now tracking the 25-year-old again, having seen him tumble down the Stamford Bridge pecking order.
(© Daily Telegraph, London)