Manchester United to make €20million bid for Seamus Coleman
Published 28/06/2015 | 10:54
Manchester United are ready to go all out in a bid to capture Seamus Coleman as manager Louis van Gaal makes the right back position his number one priority.
Van Gaal has seen number one target Nathaniel Clyne move to rivals Liverpool and so the Dutchman is now preparing a €20million bid for Coleman, the stand out right full in the Premier League last season.
Coleman has been a long-time target for the Old Trafford club and former Reds boss David Moyes was keen to bring him Manchester during his tenure at United but Killybegs man Coleman signed a five-year deal with the Toffees last year.
But a massive €20million bid from United is sure to open talks with Coleman.
Meanwhile, Van is ready to dump Ángel di María, the most expensive man in British football, after just one season in a straight swap deal for Paris St-Germain striker Edinson Cavani, according to reports.
Di María, who cost United £59.7million last year, is, despite his failure to light up the Premier League last term, attracting interest from several top European clubs including European Cup winners Barcelona, Bayern Munich and Ligue 1 champions Paris St-Germain.
However, while Van Gaal is understood to be keen on offloading Di María, the Dutchman is reticent over selling the Argentine to a club he regards as direct rivals in next season's Champions League - Barça and Bayern.
A swap deal, though, with Paris St-Germain for Uruguay striker Cavani, may be considered a risk worth taking given Van Gaal's need to bolster his strikeforce.
After scoring 78 league goals for Napoli in 104 appearances and 34 in 65 outings for PSG, the striker could be just the man to get United back on track following two trophyless seasons.
Cavani, meanwhile, has admitted to feeling "delicate" after his father was arrested following his involvement in a traffic accident in which a 19-year-old motorcyclist died in Uruguay.
"We know that everything is very delicate at the moment, but I feel terrible for all that has happened," Cavani said. "From the bottom of my heart, I hope that the families can meet and sort everything out like human beings."
Meanwhile, United who have already seen one bid of around £32 million rejected by Real Madrid for summer transfer target Sergio Ramos, have now been told they must pay a staggering £63m if they are to capture the Spain international, according to reports.
Ramos has emerged as one of the top targets for Van Gaal this summer as he aims to reshape his squad for a tilt at the Premier League title.
Ramos is widely reported to be unsettled at Real - where he has played since 2005 - and United appear to be the club best placed to prise him away from the Bernabeu.
However, a report on Sunday now claims that the Spanish giants are demanding what would be a new British transfer record for the 29-year-old defender.