Thursday 29 September 2016

Mamadou Sakho's Liverpool future in doubt after Jurgen Klopp orders him home from US tour

John Percy

Published 26/07/2016 | 07:45

Sakho is said to have turned up late for his flight out to California CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES
Sakho is said to have turned up late for his flight out to California CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES

Mamadou Sakho's Liverpool future has been thrown into doubt after he was ordered home from the club's tour of America by Jurgen Klopp.

  • Go To

Sakho has flown back home to England after Klopp finally ran out of patience with the French defender's attitude during their stay in Palo Alto.

It is understood Sakho has infuriated Klopp on at least two occasions and he has been sent home with his future at the club now appearing uncertain.

The 26-year-old is alleged to have turned up late for Liverpool's flight to the United States while last weekend he interrupted Klopp while the manager was conducting an interview with the club website.

Klopp jokingly threatened to leave Sakho stranded on Alcatraz Island but the relationship between the pair has deteriorated over the past few days. Klopp is believed to have felt he had no alternative but to take disciplinary action.

Liverpool have declined to comment on the incident, other than to confirm that Sakho has left the tour party and returned home. He will receive treatment at the club's training base as he recovers from an Achilles injury.

Sakho has endured an eventful year with the club after he was cleared by Uefa after allegations he failed a drugs test were dismissed.

His legal team successfully argued that Sakho took no substance that should be deemed illegal when he was hit with a three month suspension at the end of last season.

Klopp, meanwhile, is continuing his search for a left-back but has abandoned his pursuit of Leicester City defender Ben Chilwell.

Leicester expect Chilwell, 19, to sign a new five-year deal shortly and Klopp is now considering other targets.

Earlier this summer Liverpool tabled a £7million bid for the teenager - consisting of an initial £3.5million plus a further £3.5million in add-ons - but Leicester have maintained their position that he is not for sale.

Telegraph.co.uk

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport