Liverpool sign Spanish full-back Javier Manquillo on two-year loan deal
Published 07/08/2014 | 02:30
Liverpool have completed the signing of Atletico Madrid defender Javier Manquillo on loan on a two-year deal with a view to a permanent move.
The 20-year-old right-back has been with La Liga champions Atletico since 2007 and has represented his country at youth levels.
Manquillo, who was also part of the youth set-up at Real Madrid, is the seventh signing Liverpool have made this summer, following the arrival of the three Saints, Rickie Lambert, Adam Lallana and Dejan Lovren, along with Emre Can, Lazar Markovic and Divock Origi.
Manquillo said: "I'm very happy to have signed for a club like Liverpool. I think it's one of the biggest in Europe. Any footballer would want to come and play here."
Meanwhile, Reds goalkeeper Pepe Reina finalised his move away from Anfield to the Bundesliga champions Bayern Munich yesterday.
Elsewhere, Juventus defender Mauricio Isla has agreed to a season-long loan at Queen's Park Rangers, and is awaiting confirmation of his work permit from the Football Association.
The 26-year-old Chilean, who has won 47 caps for his country and played in the World Cup, is QPR manager Harry Redknapp's fourth acquisition as his side seek to consolidate after their promotion to the Premier League.
Nottingham Forest moved to placate manager Stuart Pearce after the sale of Karl Darlow and Jamaal Lascelles to Newcastle earlier this week by breaking their transfer record to bring in striker Britt Assombalonga from Peterborough for £5m.
The 21-year-old scored 33 goals for the League One side last season. Forest also spent £1.5m on winger Michail Antonio from Sheffield Wednesday.
Frank Lampard has expressed his delight at having the opportunity to continue operating at the top level following his move to Manchester City on loan until January. The 36-year-old England midfielder is spending time with City as he prepares for life with the club's sister American outfit New York City FC, who do not begin their new Major League Soccer season until the spring.
Lampard trained with the Premier League champions for the first time yesterday, and he said: "Joining up with Manchester City is a fantastic opportunity for me to continue to train and play at the top level and make sure I am in top condition for New York City.
"It has been an amazing few days for me since the unveiling in Brooklyn and everyone connected with both clubs has been fantastic to me. This is a new chapter of my career and I'm really excited about the experience.
"I met Manuel (Pellegrini, the Manchester City manager) and some of the players in New York and I'm looking forward to getting into training and making a contribution for Manchester City ahead of my move over to New York."
Pellegrini said: "Frank is a world class midfielder and this is an opportunity which works perfectly for everyone.
"I'm looking forward to working with him and integrating him into our squad. New York have made a fantastic signing by recruiting Frank, and I'm really pleased that we'll be able to have him with us for the first half of our season and help prepare him for his new challenge."
New York City sporting director Claudio Reyna said: "This is the perfect opportunity for Frank. He is in great shape following the World Cup and training and playing with our colleagues in Manchester will enable Frank to be fit and ready for our inaugural training camp.
"Everyone has been hugely impressed with Frank's positivity, and I'm sure he will bring a lot to City during his stint with the club. We wish him well for his spell with City and look forward to welcoming him back to New York in the new year."
Lampard is available for all of Man City's domestic and European games, taking up squad No 18.
Irish IndependentFollow @IndoSport