Monday 26 September 2016

Liverpool blow as Gotze plans to fight for Bayern place

Chris Bascombe

Published 24/05/2016 | 02:30

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp. Photo: David Davies/PA Wire.
Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp. Photo: David Davies/PA Wire.

Liverpool's prime summer target, German World Cup winner Mario Götze, says he expects to still be at Bayern Munich at the start of next season.

  • Go To

Götze indicated last month he would be leaving the German champions after talks with new manager Carlo Ancelotti. He was given permission to find another club but, in what appears to be a significant U-turn, now says he intends to start afresh at Munich.

Götze told German newspaper Bild: "I look forward to the new season in Munich and will do everything possible to compete in top shape during my first training under Carlo Ancelotti."

It remains to be seen in what context those comments were made and whether the 23-year-old forward has been given assurances his career will be revived under Ancelotti.

He has only one year left of his contract at Munich, which is why he was available for £20m this summer.

Liverpool have advanced with the signing of Germany U-21 goalkeeper Loris Karius, who is on Merseyside for a medical ahead of a £4.7m move from Mainz. A contract is expected to be signed by tomorrow. Karius is likely to end Simon Mignolet's role as the guaranteed Anfield No 1.

Klopp's next target is Leicester left-back Ben Chilwell, and negotiations with the champions are expected to advance over the next few days. Leicester could ask as much as £7m for the 19-year-old, but Liverpool remain hopeful a deal can be struck.

Klopp also wants another centre-half to compete with Dejan Lovren and new recruit Joel Matip. Kolo Toure will leave the club, as will Martin Skrtel - Turkey is Skrtel's most likely destination. (© Daily Telegraph, London)

Telegraph.co.uk

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport