Friday 20 October 2017

Keane on way out

ROBBIE KEANE will be allowed to leave Tottenham in January after Harry Redknapp admitted he had spoken to the Irish striker and accepted that he needs first-team football.

Aston Villa are favourites to sign the £8mrated Dubliner, who returned to Spurs in the 2009 January window after a disappointing spell at Liverpool.

Keane was loaned out to Celtic last January but has struggled to break back into the first team since his return. Vancouver Whitecaps are also interested in the 30-year-old. “I have spoken with Robbie and I think he’d like to move. He wants to play. All his career, he’s played and been a big player.

He could sit here and take his wages, but that’s not him,” said Spurs manager Redknapp. “He would do a great job for anybody. Probably the hardest decision I had to make was last week: I couldn’t get him on the bench (against Liverpool).” Redknapp also confirmed that defender Ledley King must decide in the next fortnight whether to have an operation.

He has been missing since October with a groin problem. “The medical staff have said that he will really push himself for the next two weeks. If he isn’t any better, then he will have to have an operation,” said Redknapp. (© Daily Telegraph, London)

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport