Sunday 25 June 2017

Kean insists his future 'has not even been mentioned'

Graham Chase

Steve Kean faced further protests from Blackburn supporters at the club's training ground yesterday, but the manager insists he will hold talks with his detractors as long as his safety is guaranteed.

Kean will be in charge for Monday's trip to Liverpool despite seeing his team slip to the bottom of the Premier League with a 2-1 defeat to Bolton on Tuesday night.

The Scot retains the support of co-owner Anuradha Desai and claims his only conversations with the club's owners since Tuesday have centred around plans for the January transfer market.

He also insists that his future has not even been mentioned, despite the widespread expectation that he would be removed from his position earlier this week.

Around 50 fans had stated that yesterday's protest at the club's Brockhall training centre would be against the club's unpopular owners, Venky's, but Kean was abused as he left the training pitches to head back to the main building.

The Scot has faced months of criticism from supporters, but the atmosphere was so bad at Tuesday night's match that Everton manager David Moyes walked out in disgust at half-time, while Kean also had a Blackburn shirt thrown at him at the final whistle.

Although he is adamant that he can not answer continued questions about Blackburn's financial situation, he says that he will meet with supporters in the right setting.

"I have to take direction from other people on health and safety and if we do anything like that, it must be in the proper environment," he said.

With Gael Givet, Ryan Nelsen and Martin Olsson all injured and with Michel Salgado left out as he looks for a new club, goalkeeper Paul Robinson is also doubtful for Monday's trip to Liverpool with a calf problem. (© Independent News Service)

Irish Independent

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport