John Terry's Chelsea career is over, says Willian
Chelsea claim no final decision has been taken on defender's future, but that has clearly not convinced the dressing-room
Published 10/02/2016 | 20:29
Chelsea forward Willian believes John Terry’s time at the club is coming to an end and has ranked the defender as one of the Blues’ best-ever players.
Terry has claimed he will not be offered a new contract at Chelsea, meaning this will be his final season at Stamford Bridge.
Chelsea have claimed no final decision has been taken on Terry’s future, but that has clearly not convinced the dressing-room with Willian one of those who feels the 35-year-old will go.
“I think he would like to stay longer with us, but unfortunately it seems he won’t be able to remain as a Chelsea player,” Willian told Squawka.
“The club won’t probably extend his contract. I can just wish him the best of luck for the rest of his career.”
Terry joined Chelsea as a 14-year-old and has played almost 700 games for the club, winning four Premier League titles, five FA Cups, three League Cups, the Europa League and the Champions League.
“He is definitely one of the greatest or maybe the greatest player of Chelsea’s history,” said Willian. “He’s won everything for this club. He is respected by all of us.
“I’m thankful for having the opportunity to play beside him. I’ve learnt a lot from John Terry.”
With Chelsea still in the bottom half of the Premier League table, attention is already turning to next week’s Champions League last-16 first-leg tie against Paris Saint-Germain.
PSG knocked Chelsea out of the competition last year, avenging the Blues’ quarter-final success against the French club 12 months earlier, and Willian is seeking revenge.
“Without doubt it'll be another great match, another great challenge, another battle for us,” said Willian. “People know how difficult it is to play against them, but this year we hope that it'll be different and Chelsea can go further in the competition.
“We'll need determination on the pitch to achieve this, we know what we want, we want to win.”
Loic Remy is unlikely to be allowed to leave Chelsea before the game in Paris next Tuesday, with Chinese Super League clubs still chasing the striker ahead of the closure of their transfer window on Feb 26.
Chelsea face a key period in which they travel to France and then play Manchester City in the fifth round of the FA Cup.
The Blues only have two remaining chances of finishing such a dismal season with silverware and will not risk leaving themselves short in attack by selling Remy now.
But Chelsea could reassess Remy’s situation after the City tie on Feb 21 and take into consideration how far on-loan duo Alexandre Pato and Radamel Falcao are from fitness.
Pato has been given a special pre-season regime to try to get him match fit, but the club fear it could be another month before he is ready to start a game. Falcao has not played since Oct 31 because of a thigh injury.
Falcao is also the target of Chinese clubs if he can prove his fitness ahead of the Feb 26 cut-off date for Super League transfers.