Hodgson wants quick response to defeat
Published 06/01/2011 | 15:21
Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson is looking for an immediate response to the embarrassing defeat at Blackburn.
It may not be the one he wants but it could be the one he half expects and fears after presiding over a ninth Barclays Premier League defeat in 20 matches.
The 63-year-old was in a precarious position even before the trip to Ewood Park as reports began circulating after the home loss to Wolves a week ago that owners New England Sports Ventures were looking for a replacement.
A last-gasp win over Bolton on Saturday did little to strengthen his position and he must now fear the worst after watching his side be outplayed by a Rovers team who had eight first-teamers missing and had lost three of the last five matches.
Next up for Liverpool is an FA Cup third round tie at the home of arch-rivals Manchester United on Sunday.
Hodgson optimistically said he hoped to see a reaction from his players.
With the pressure growing ever more on him and NESV to make a decision he may not be there to witness it.
"Football unfortunately throws up some good moments and bad moments and when it throws up a bad moment there is no amount of talking which is going to change it," said the former Fulham boss, who has yet to improve his abysmal record of just two away Premier League wins since the start of the 2009/10 season.
"It is going to be the next performance which is going to change things.
"You keep going as best you can. You make certain that you try to get over the result and make certain the next result is a better one and wipes away the memory."
His post-match press conference at Ewood Park had something of an air of finality about it.
Hodgson, who usually spends at least 20 minutes talking to various sections of the media, answered three questions in a session lasting just over two minutes.
When the subject of his future was broached his response was brief, before an abrupt halt was brought to proceedings by the club's media officer.
"I am not prepared to talk about that because obviously I am depressed enough with the performance and the result," was Hodgson's reply.
"I have no comments to make and I have no intention to answer any questions on the subject."
There were the now seemingly obligatory chants for the return of club legend Kenny Dalglish, a former player and manager and current academy ambassador, from the visiting fans last night.
However, all the suggestions from NESV so far make that return to the past seem unlikely as it has been hinted they would prefer a younger, more progressive man in charge.
The likes of Bolton manager Owen Coyle, Porto's Andre Villas Boas, Borussia Dortmund's Jurgen Klopp and Ralf Rangnick, who quit as Hoffenheim manager at the weekend, and ex-Barcelona coach Frank Rijkaard have all been mentioned as potential successors.
NESV's principal owner John Henry and chairman Tom Werner are the two men who will have to make the final decision but in light of recent performances, irrespective of Liverpool's poor start to the season, it will be difficult for them to allow the situation to drag on.
Reluctant as they may be to change the manager after just six months it has to be remembered Hodgson was not their choice as he was appointed three months prior to their £300m takeover in October.
Despite his stunted press conference Hodgson did, however, hang around long enough to debunk any suggestion that defender Daniel Agger was leaving the club and dismissing reported comments by Denmark coach Morten Olsen that the centre-back should consider seeking a move.
"His future has never been in doubt," said the Reds boss.
"I don't believe that (Olsen's reported comments). I am a close friend of Morten Olsen and I don't believe for one minute he would involve himself in the business of Liverpool football club.
"That story you can dismiss. If he said he would like to see Daniel playing regularly that is another matter.
"Now he is fit perhaps he will be playing regularly so the question does not come up."