Hart plans to fight for place as Ter Stegen commits to summer move
Published 01/04/2016 | 02:30
Joe Hart will stay and fight for his Manchester City place, despite the impending arrival of Marc-Andre ter Stegen from Barcelona.
Ter Stegen has agreed to join in the summer after choosing to link up with Pep Guardiola rather than Jurgen Klopp at Liverpool. He and Hart will now battle for the No 1 spot next season and Hart, the England first choice, is understood to think that the extra competition will only make him better.
Hart believes he is no different to any other City player who has to prove himself worthy of a first-team place and will relish the challenge of going up against the Germany international.
With Willy Caballero to follow Manuel Pellegrini out of the club at the end of the season, City had been searching for a new goalkeeper who could provide Hart with better competition.
They considered an ambitious move for Bayern Munich’s Manuel Neuer and also looked at Hannover’s Ron-Robert Zieler, but decided to move for Ter Stegen once it became apparent that he was unhappy at Barcelona.
Hart may well have considered his future if City had signed Neuer, but the arrival of Ter Stegen, 23, should still give him enough opportunities to show his quality.
There are still three years remaining on Hart’s £180,000-a-week contract and the 28-year-old remains highly rated by the club.
With Hart injured, City will have to rely on Caballero, who has conceded 32 goals in the 20 games he has played, against Bournemouth in the Premier League tomorrow.
Hart has not given up on the possibility of recovering in time to face Paris Saint-Germain in the Champions League next Wednesday.
City will give him every opportunity to prove his fitness in time to play in the first leg of the quarter-final in France.
Martin Demichelis says the English Football Association’s decision to charge him with misconduct over 12 counts of betting on football is “nothing serious”.
The 35-year-old, who faces a fine or ban if found guilty, arrived back in Manchester yesterday from international duty with Argentina and has been given until 5pm on Tuesday to respond to the charge, which relates to alleged breaches between January 22 and 28.
“I think it is nothing serious,” he said. “I will talk about it in a few days when I have been briefed by my lawyer.” (© Daily Telegraph, London)