Monday 5 December 2016

Further sanctions loom for Carlos Tevez

Phil Medlicott

Published 10/11/2011 | 08:35

MANCHESTER City striker Carlos Tevez is facing the prospect of yet more disciplinary action after tensions between him and the club were increased by his failure to report for training.

  • Go To

Tevez was due to come in for a session at City's Carrington training ground yesterday morning but did not show up, having flown to his native Argentina on Monday night to see his family.



Tuesday - when it emerged that Tevez would not be appealing against the club's ruling that he was guilty of misconduct in the Champions League defeat to Bayern Munich - was a scheduled day off for the 27-year-old, but City have stressed that it had been made clear to him that he would be required to train at Carrington on Wednesday.



According to the player's representative, Tevez made several unsuccessful attempts to contact Blues boss Roberto Mancini about his journey home before embarking upon it.



A spokesman for Tevez told Press Association Sport: "He was told it was Roberto Mancini's decision as to whether or not he could go and he left numerous voice messages and texts on Mancini's phone.



"He didn't receive a response at all. He then flew to Argentina and tried to speak to Mancini again on Tuesday, leaving messages and texts. We've had no response."



The spokesman was not prepared to comment on when Tevez might be likely to return from South America, and City are not yet able to say what punishment the former captain may face.



What is certain is that the controversy surrounding Tevez is showing little sign of abating.



In the previous case, where a disciplinary panel found the former Manchester United man guilty of five breaches of contract relating to his behaviour on the bench during the Bayern match on September 27, fined him four weeks' wages and suspended him for two weeks - deemed to have already been served - Tevez had the Professional Footballers' Association (PFA) fighting his corner.



He was accused by Mancini of refusing to come on as a substitute during the second half of the 2-0 loss at the Allianz Arena, but Tevez denied the allegation and blamed a misunderstanding, insisting he had merely refused to warm up - something he thought unnecessary as he had already done so.



He was suspended for two weeks then began training alone while the matter was investigated, and on October 25 City announced they were upholding a charge of misconduct against him based on the panel's findings.



The PFA subsequently made an intervention which saw the fine cut to two weeks' wages, but yesterday the union's chief executive Gordon Taylor expressed his dismay at the fresh turn of events.



"To say the least, I am very disappointed and extremely concerned now," Taylor told Sky Sports News.



"He is making it virtually impossible to have a reconciliation and leaving himself very vulnerable to strong action by the club.



"It goes to the heart of the contract and that could be gross misconduct in anybody's language."



Mancini had recently suggested Tevez - who was City's top scorer and skipper last term as they won the FA Cup, but has fallen out of favour since his failed attempt to secure a transfer over the summer - could return to the team if he apologised for the Munich incident, but relations between the frontman and his club appear to have now reached a new low.



Tevez has only made five appearances for the Blues this season, with the last coming on September 21, and he has not been selected by Argentina for their World Cup qualifying double-header against Bolivia and Colombia during the current international break.



Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport