Tuesday 6 December 2016

Dalglish disappointed by Torres timing

Published 03/02/2011 | 15:12

Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish admits he was disappointed with the timing of the Fernando Torres' transfer saga but insists the club have already moved on.

  • Go To

The Spain international requested a move to Chelsea late last week after an initial £35m bid was rejected by the Merseysiders.

By Monday he had completed his £50m switch to Stamford Bridge, with Liverpool bringing in club record signing Andy Carroll and Luis Suarez for a combined £57.8m.

In subsequent interviews Torres has claimed he has joined a side who can fulfil his ambitions but Dalglish brushed aside any perceived slight on his club.

He also said principal owner John Henry and chairman Tom Werner had tried to persuade the 26-year-old to stay but to no avail.

"I don't know what he has had to say since he joined (Chelsea) - I only knew what he said when he was here," said the Scot as he batted away questions about Torres' comments.

"For me, everyone was disappointed he left the club. What was most disappointing was his timing but we have got on with our life and the football club will always be here.

"We will never ever put any one person in front of this club.

"The owners did everything they possibly could but it wasn't to be. He moved on and is playing for someone else now.

"It is something we will live with and the most important thing for us now is the two people we have brought in and we'll concentrate on them - we are delighted with them.

"If we've lost one, we've lost one. I don't know whose gain it is (in the transfer dealings) and neither will anyone until such time as years have gone by.

"The most important people are the people at the club who care for the club; whatever Chelsea think it is not my problem."

Torres is expected to make his Chelsea debut against his former club at Stamford Bridge on Sunday.

Dalglish said it made no difference to him who they came up against.

"We are more important than any player they have got. We'll play against whoever they put on the pitch," he added.

"These people know the football club is more important than any individual - whether he has been and gone or is here now.

"I would expect they would relish the battle against him but they have competed brilliantly against everyone since I have come in.

"If our lads are competitive we won't have a problem but there's no extra spice for me."

Press Association

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport