Sunday 28 May 2017

Classless Newcastle axed Jonas Gutierrez and Ryan Taylor in ONE phonecall

Jonas Gutierrez
Jonas Gutierrez

Ryan Taylor has revealed that both he and Jonas Gutierrez were dropped by Newcastle United in the same phonecall by John Carver.

The Magpies secured their place in the Premier League next season thanks to a 2-0 final day win over West Ham and Gutierrez was among the goals.

"John Carver rang me and told me the club weren't going to offer me a new deal," Taylor told Sky Sports News.

"Then he asked me to pass the phone to Jonas, which was unbelievable."

Defender Taylor, 30, spent six years at St James' Park, while midfielder Gutierrez, 31, had been at the club since 2008.

Gutierrez, who has fought testicular cancer, scored in a 2-0 win over West Ham as Newcastle avoided relegation.

Taylor said he had some sympathy for Carver.

"I spoke to him and he seemed upset about telling two good pros, who have been there a long time, that it's come to an end," said the defender.

"I can't really blame John because he's under instructions on what to do."

Online Editors

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport