Thursday 29 September 2016

City not reported after latest booing of anthem

Sam Wallace

Published 05/11/2015 | 02:30

Hart: Delighted with victory
Hart: Delighted with victory

Manchester City have not been reported by the Uefa match delegate for their supporters' booing of the Champions League anthem before the away game against Sevilla on Tuesday night, another example of the bizarre approach the governing body has taken on the issue.

  • Go To

City still await the decision by Uefa on November 19 as to whether they will face disciplinary proceedings for the offence of "disruption of the competition anthem" in relation to the booing that took place before the home game against Sevilla last month.

Yet despite the City fans repeating the booing at the Ramón Sánchez-Pizjuán stadium this week, the Uefa match delegate has not reported them.

The mood is that Uefa will back off from any disciplinary proceedings this month, having recognised that it has got itself into an unwinnable feud over the booing. City fans began booing the anthem in protest at what they saw was Uefa's unfair treatment of them over financial fair play.

The City goalkeeper Joe Hart said that Tuesday's 3-1 win over Sevilla was the club's best victory away from home since their first participation in the tournament in the 2011-2012 season. City have qualified for the knockout round with two games to spare.

Hart said: "Against a really confident Sevilla side, who play with a lot of attacking intent, I thought we controlled the game really well. We took our chances really well - we could have killed the game off in the second half to make it comfortable, but we've got to remember that this team has won a lot of Europa Leagues.

"I think we set up well, I think we defended well and we took our chances well. It's pretty simple but sometimes we've not played to that game-plan - we've been a little reckless. I think Vinny (Kompany) said it a few times, we've been a little bit naive and been caught out, but we've been really solid."

City are understood to have no interest in bringing the former Italy international Andrea Pirlo on loan from their MLS sister club New York City. (© Daily Telegraph, London)

Telegraph.co.uk

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport