Carneiro legal action adds to growing list of concerns for besieged boss
Published 03/11/2015 | 02:30
Jose Mourinho faces legal action from Eva Carneiro as she piled the pressure on the crisis-plagued Chelsea manager yesterday over the loss of her job as his first-team doctor.
Carneiro's legal claim against the beleaguered Premier League champions became personal as she prepared to serve papers on Mourinho, which could force him to appear at an employment tribunal next year.
Such a hearing would mean Mourinho is accused of victimisation and discrimination over his banishing of Carneiro from the bench, something for which he would be personally liable if found guilty of conduct deemed instrumental to her departure.
Carneiro and Chelsea have failed to agree a severance package since she left the club last month, forcing her to lodge a constructive dismissal claim with an employment tribunal which will take place unless an out-of-court settlement can be reached.
The timing of Carneiro's latest move could hardly be worse for Mourinho, whose side have lost six out of 11 matches in the Premier League to leave the reigning champions 15th in the table.
Chelsea and representatives for Mourinho did not respond to requests for comment yesterday, while Carneiro's lawyers said neither she nor they could comment as the case is sub judice.
She has not reported for work since she and physio Jon Fearn were banished from the bench by Mourinho for treating Eden Hazard during Chelsea's opening-day draw with Swansea on August 8.
Mourinho reacted furiously to them entering the field of play, swearing in Portuguese as he saw his team briefly reduced to nine men and condemning their actions afterwards, despite both having followed rules governing football injuries and medics in general.
Following more than one complaint to the Football Association about his on-field outburst, the Chelsea manager was cleared of aiming sexist abuse towards Carneiro on September 30, having strenuously denied any wrongdoing.
The verdict led Carneiro to break her silence in a statement in which the 42-year-old drew comparisons between the outcome of the case and the FA's refusal to act over "vile, unacceptable, sexually-explicit abuse" she said she endured at a game at West Ham last season.