Bruce insists he's not walking away
Published 27/11/2011 | 05:00
Steve Bruce insists he will not walk away from Sunderland after a demoralising home defeat by Wigan.
The 50-year-old Geordie was subjected to chants for him to go after substitute Franco di Santo fired the Latics to victory at the Stadium of Light in front of chairman Ellis Short. Short had earlier written in his programme notes there was no need for panic after a difficult start to the season, which has now seen them win just two of their last 15 league games at the Stadium of Light.
Asked if he had considered his position, a defiant Bruce said: "No, not at all. I have never given up on anything, certainly not in football anyway. My intention is not to walk away or quit. That's certainly not in my nature either. There's something in me which says I will try to turn it around.
"Patience in football doesn't last very long, but as far as my future is concerned, that's up to others." Bruce's Tyneside roots remain a source of disquiet for some sections of the Black Cats' fans. "It borders on abuse, but I can't help where I was born. When it gets like it is it's disappointing to hear, of course," he said.
Sunderland went ahead after eight minutes through Sebastian Larsson, but the Latics were back in it a minute before the break with a Jordi Gomez penalty.
Sunday Indo Sport