Saturday 1 October 2016

Arsenal's summer plans take a hit as top target looks set to stay put

Published 15/07/2016 | 14:49

MARSEILLE, FRANCE - JULY 7: Julian Draxler of Germany vies for the ball during the UEFA Euro 2016 semi final match between Germany and France at Stade Velodrome in Merseille, France on July 7, 2016. (Photo by Metin Pala/Anadolu Agency/Getty Images)
MARSEILLE, FRANCE - JULY 7: Julian Draxler of Germany vies for the ball during the UEFA Euro 2016 semi final match between Germany and France at Stade Velodrome in Merseille, France on July 7, 2016. (Photo by Metin Pala/Anadolu Agency/Getty Images)

Arsenal’s hopes of signing Wolfsburg attacking star Julian Draxler appear to have taken a blow after his club confirmed he would not be allowed to leave this summer.

  • Go To

Gunners boss Arsene Wenger has been a long-time admirer of Draxler and came close to signing the German international on at least one occasion over the last couple of years.

Widespread reports in recent days have suggested that Arsenal were again closing in on a move to sign the talented 22-year-old in a deal that could be worth in excess of €40m, yet Wolfsburg sporting director Klaus Allofs has stressed the player is not for sale.

"With Julian Draxler it will be 100 per cent like this," he told German website Sport1. "He will stay. There is no discussion."

Wenger tried to sign Draxler during his time at Schalke, but the Germany club blocked the move amid suggestions that the player had already taken part in a tour around Arsenal’s Hertfordshire training base.

Meanwhile, Allofs was a little less certain about the future of Wolfsburg forward Andre Schurrle, with the former Chelsea man attracting interest from Bundlesliga side Borussia Dortmund.

"Andre has told the trainer Borussia Dortmund's interest has made him think," he said. "But until now nothing has happened. It's not improbable that Andre stays."

Online Editors

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport