Another insult for Mario Balotelli as he is cast aside with Liverpool reserves
Mario Balotelli has been told he has no future with Liverpool and the striker is training away from the first-team squad along with Fabio Borini and Jose Enrique, whom the club are also looking to offload.
Balotelli (24) was not on the pre-season tour to Thailand, Australia and Malaysia, and neither has he been included in the squads for the friendly games against HJK Helsinki in Finland tomorrow or Swindon Town on Sunday.
Liverpool want £10m for a player who cost them £16m last summer but they accept that they may have to lower their asking price, which is far too high for Bologna, who have expressed an interest.
Rarely in the past has Brendan Rodgers asked members of the senior squad to train separately - Luis Suarez did so after his thwarted demand to leave the club in the summer of 2013 - but the Liverpool manager has told Balotelli that he does not want him around the first team.
It is telling that, although Rickie Lambert's £3m departure to West Bromwich Albion is imminent, the Englishman is still part of the first-team group in training.
Only last week Liverpool published a picture on their official Twitter account of Emre Can, Philippe Coutinho and Christian Benteke with the following words: "Adam Lallana can't wait to link up with 'world-class' talent waiting back at Melwood #LFC."
Balotelli was actually in the original picture, but the club chose to photoshop him out of the one they tweeted.