Anfield cleared to host cup tie after stadium evacuation following 'missing man' mystery
Liverpool's Capital One Cup fourth-round fixture with Bournemouth will go ahead as planned on Wednesday after Anfield was cleared to reopen following an evacuation.
The club reported a man had gone missing from a tour group that was visiting Anfield, which led to a police operation at the stadium from mid-afternoon until late evening.
But after a search, both Merseyside Police and the football club said they were confident the stadium was secure.
"Anfield Stadium is now fully reopened, following a precautionary evacuation earlier this afternoon," said a club spokesman.
Photos were posted on social media and in local news blogs which appeared to show both club staff and tourists standing outside the famous ground, with police officers manning its gates.
An eyewitness who did not want to be named told Press Association Sport that alarms sounded at around 3.30pm.
BREAKING: Anfield has been evacuated as two men have gone missing within the facility. Reports of a bomb scare. #lfc— LFC Live News (@LFC_NEW5) October 27, 2015
Two Asian men wearing back packs asking a lot of questions on a tour have gone missing inside Anfield, Stadium has been evacuated to search.— Paul Burke (@Paul_BurkeLFC) October 27, 2015
Five police vehicles could be seen parked at Anfield, where the nearby streets were quiet. Nearby roads had been closed while the hunt continues. A sniffer dog was also at the stadium.