Wednesday 18 January 2017

Ancelotti says he's lucky to be at the Chelsea helm after big sleep

Jason Burt

Published 21/03/2011 | 05:00

Carlo Ancelotti admitted last night that he had been fortunate to keep his job as Chelsea manager, brushing aside concerns raised by the club's chief executive Ron Gourlay earlier in the day that his position will be reviewed at the end of the season.

  • Go To

Chelsea attempted to play down Gourlay's comments after he had said in a radio interview: "Carlo has a contract until end of 2012. Let's see where we are at the end of May then we'll judge the coach and other people at the football club." Chelsea insisted this was a standard response, but it hardly amounted to a ringing endorsement for Ancelotti who has been under pressure this season.

However, Gourlay did add: "Carlo is a world-class coach. You look at his record and it speaks for itself. His record at Chelsea in a short time, winning the double in the first season in a new league, coming out of Italy, is a great feat."

Despite that, Ancelotti knows he can take nothing for granted and, additionally, he has been uncomfortable in his role this campaign, especially immediately after the sacking of assistant manager Ray Wilkins. "I know very well that this team slept for two months and, during this time, I had fantastic support," he said. "A lot of coaches that sleep for two months, at this moment, are at home watching the game on television. I am here. Fortunately.

"You know my contract finishes in 2012 and I don't need to speak now about my contract. I'm happy at this moment. So, I think we will continue. If one party -- the club or myself -- is not happy to continue, then I think we'll have to (make a decision)." (© Daily Telegraph, London)

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport