Adebayor released early from Tottenham contract
Published 13/09/2015 | 10:32
Emmanuel Adebayor has been released from his contract with Tottenham by mutual agreement.
Adebayor had not been included in the club's 25-man Barclays Premier League squad for this season or given a squad number.
A statement on Spurs' official website on Sunday morning said: "We can confirm that we have reached a mutual agreement with Emmanuel Adebayor which will see him released from his contract with the club.
"We wish Emmanuel well for the future."
Adebayor has not been involved in any of Tottenham's matches so far this term, and after Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino spoke about the 31-year-old Togo forward at a press conference on Friday there seemed little doubt he had already played his last game for the London outfit.
Pochettino confirmed he had held chats with the player since May to explain he would not play a role for Tottenham in the future.
''I was very clear with him, we had a conversation before the end of last season and I explained my idea," the Argentinian said on Friday.
''I think it is clear he is not in my mind or in the plans for the future of Tottenham.
"It is not a problem for him or a problem for us.
''It was clear from the beginning three or four months ago and it was his decision whether to stay or not.
''We are always available to help him, we have a good relationship.
''The only problem now is to find a solution for him and a solution for the club, something that is good for both sides.''
Despite being told he would be allowed to find a new club and holding an hour-long chat with West Ham boss Slaven Bilic, it is understood Adebayor had refused to leave Tottenham unless they paid up the remainder of his contract - believed to be as much as £5million.
Pochettino also revealed on Friday Adebayor had been training with the under-21 squad after a self-imposed exile from the senior set-up.