Pellegrini wants Negredo to stay
Published 29/08/2014 | 23:56
Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini insists the club have no intention of selling striker Alvaro Negredo.
The 29-year-old Spaniard, who is currently sidelined with a broken metatarsal, has been linked with European champions Real Madrid.
Reports have claimed Negredo, who had a spell with the Primera Division giants' B team earlier in his career, is being lined up as a potential alternative should the club fail in attempts to sign Monaco's Radamel Falcao.
Pellegrini said: "For the moment there is no news about that, for Negredo or anybody. We are not receiving any offers for any players.
"At this moment he is part of our squad and we are not trying to sell him and nobody has given an important offer."
It is not the first time Negredo has been linked with a move since the end of last season, with Atletico Madrid reportedly interested over the summer.
Negredo made an immediate impact at City last season after arriving from Sevilla in a £20million deal.
He went on to score 23 goals in all competitions but the last of those came in January as he suffered a loss of form in the second half of the campaign after suffering a shoulder injury.
That slump cost him a place in Spain's World Cup squad but the player himself dismissed claims he was homesick, saying he was very settled at City.
Pellegrini said: "Maybe one month ago some Spanish clubs had an interest in him but that was one month ago.
"At this moment Alvaro is injured but part of our squad.
"Last year he did very well and then had an injury with his shoulder and after that he didn't play so well but he's always an important player for us. We don't want to sell him. We want him to stay with us."
Pellegrini, speaking at a press conference on Friday, said there was "nothing for the moment" when asked about possible signings before Monday's transfer deadline.
Other players out of the first-team picture, such as Micah Richards, John Guidetti and Scott Sinclair, have been linked with moves away from the Etihad Stadium but Pellegrini was again non-committal.
He said: "We will see what happens with them in the next 48 hours.
"They know at the moment they are not part of the squad because we have enough players with the 22 players I chose for this year, but in this moment I really don't have any news."
Press AssociationFollow @IndoSport