Pardew vows to replace Cabaye
Published 24/03/2014 | 17:22
The 52-year-old looked on in dismay as his star man was sold to Paris St Germain in January, with the club unable to strike a deal to plug the chasm his departure created.
However, having already started the planning process for what promises to be a crucial closed-season recruitment drive - detailed talks with owner Mike Ashley are yet to take place - the main focus will be replacing the man who made the Magpies tick more than most during his two and a half years on Tyneside.
Asked if Cabaye's exit had forced the club to re-calibrate its ambitions for the remainder of the season, Pardew said: "It's fair to say that the transfer made it harder to qualify for Europe - and I don't think anyone would disagree with that - because we couldn't replace him.
"But that doesn't mean to say we can't replace him in the summer.
"We know we have got good players here, but we do need that controller of the ball, that manoeuvrer, that clever player, and we will get one in the summer, for sure."
Newcastle retain an interest in Montpellier midfielder Remy Cabella, who they tried to sign during the final few days of the winter transfer window, although chief scout Graham Carr is currently running the rule over a series of potential targets.
In the meantime, Pardew, whose three-game stadium ban will end after Tuesday night's home clash with Everton, will concentrate on the task of easing the club as far up the Barclays Premier League table as he can over the course of the remaining eight games of the campaign.
The Magpies sit in eighth place on 46 points after Saturday's late 1-0 victory over Crystal Palace, but the manager will not allow anyone to relax as they approach the run-in, with European qualification now looking beyond their grasp barring a grandstand finish.
Pardew said: "I had a letter from one of our fans this week saying they have been proud of the team since we got 40 points because it's very difficult.
"You look at the history of the Premier League - teams hit 40 points and switch off. Well, we have not done that.
"We will just keep fighting away and trying to achieve the best possible results we can for our fans. We have got the best fans in the country and we want to do the best for them."
Saturday's win, which was secured by striker Papiss Cisse's header in the fourth-minute of injury time, was greeted deliriously by assistant manager John Carver on the sidelines and the bulk of a crowd of 51,588 at St James' Park.
The celebrations were just as intense at the training ground, where Pardew was watching by video-link.
He said with a smile: "Me and the analyst had a little cuddle and a jump around the room because up until that point, it had been frustrating."
Newcastle will once again be without injured duo Mathieu Debuchy and Loic Remy, while full-back Davide Santon is recovering from the after-effects of a bout of tonsillitis and midfielder Sammy Ameobi has an ankle problem.
However, Pardew is hoping his available players produce the kind of performance they did in the second half at Goodison Park in September rather than they one they did in the first, when they trailed 3-0 before losing 3-2.
He said: "Some of these big clubs can make you all at sea, and Everton did that.
"But in the second half we were terrific and we showed Everton that they shouldn't underestimate us, and I don't think they will."