Soccer

Wednesday 30 July 2014

Pardew: I've haven't considered quitting Newcastle over Kinnear appointment

Damian Spellman

Published 09/07/2013|11:25

  • Share
Alan Pardew, pictured, was on holiday when Joe Kinnear was appointed as director of football
Alan Pardew, pictured, was on holiday when Joe Kinnear was appointed as director of football

Alan Pardew has insisted he never considered walking away from his job as Newcastle manager amid the furore over Joe Kinnear's return to the club.

  • Share
  • Go To

The 51-year-old found himself under pressure as last season drew to a close with his side having managed to drag themselves out of a relegation trouble.

 

However, while Kinnear's installation as director of football undermined him in the eyes of many, Pardew remains unbowed in his determination to turn things around.

 

He told the Chronicle: "I won't run away. I won't hide.

 

"When we finished fifth, I didn't have to show too many sides of my character because the team was doing well.

 

"A lot of adulation came our way and we had some fantastic performances, and the momentum was with us.

 

"Last year, I couldn't have had any more turmoil put in front of me with injuries and the Europa League, but I think I showed the fans that I am resilient."

 

The Magpies eventually limped over the finish line in 16th place, a far cry from the situation 12 months earlier when they were in the race for Champions League qualification until the final few weeks of the campaign.

 

But Pardew toughed it out and despite having Kinnear parachuted in above him, he is confident things will be better this time around.

 

He said: "I'd like to think through all of the adversity last year, I tried to carry the club with a bit of respect.

 

"I didn't lose my control or lose my temper with the players - or the press.

 

"Those qualities will serve me better this year. Hopefully we will have a more successful season."

 

Meanwhile, Pardew has expressed his displeasure with Paris St Germain boss Laurent Blanc's very public courtship of Yohan Cabaye.

 

Blanc has described the France international as "an interesting player" and Newcastle are bracing themselves for an offer, although it would take a bid considerably in excess of £20million for them to consider doing business.

 

Asked if he had been irritated by the speculation, Pardew said: "A little bit. I don't think that's right.

 

"He can get on the phone to me or make a bid. I think that's the right way to do it.

 

"I think the way it's come out isn't perhaps respectful to Yohan.

 

"That's something I want to talk to him about."

 

If Cabaye's future remains uncertain, so to do those of Newcastle targets Darren Bent and Loic Remy.

 

Pardew's main priority for this summer, and now therefore Kinnear's, is to land a top-class striker to support Papiss Cisse, and the manager has confirmed that the England international and his France counterpart are among those under consideration.

 

He told the Northern Echo: "Both of those players are on our list. I make no bones about that.

 

"But they are under contract at other clubs. It's difficult, you have to be careful. It's nice for our fans to hear names, but I don't want to disrupt other clubs' preparations.

 

"We have a list of four or five strikers who will push Cisse, Shola [Ameobi], Adam Campbell and Yoan Gouffran because that will be important next season.

 

"We do need two strikers. Last year, I didn't think there was enough competition in that area for a Premier League team."

Press Association

Read More

Classifieds

CarsIreland

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet, chat and connect with
singles in your area

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet Singles Now

Findajob

Apps

Now available on

Editors Choice

Also in Sport