Outcast Anderson predicts a summer exodus for United veterans
Anderson, the Manchester United outcast, has warned of a summer exodus from Old Trafford after claiming that several of his team-mates "want out" of the club.
The Brazilian midfielder, who completed a loan move to Fiorentina during the January transfer window, is expected to make a permanent departure from United at the end of the season, seven years after arriving in a £26m deal from Porto.
Anderson, who failed to impress David Moyes, made just three starts under the new United manager this season prior to his move to Florence.
With United languishing in seventh position in the Premier League and the likes of Nemanja Vidic, Rio Ferdinand and Patrice Evra all out of contract at the end of this campaign, Anderson claims that more players are ready to follow him out of the club.
"I am sure that lots of players want out," he said. "Especially people like myself and Nani, who have been in Manchester for seven or eight years. Manchester United is a huge club, a club that does everything for its players, but sometimes a footballer wants to leave just to experience a different way to play football and to learn something as well.
"Playing in Manchester was great, it is a prestigious club with a lot of history. But I was there for seven or eight years and I want to show Fiorentina my quality and fight for a spot in the starting line-up. I thank all United fans for their love, but I'm here to stay."
Meanwhile, Moyes has raised the prospect of Ferdinand returning to action for United after insisting that the 35-year-old is "very much valued" at Old Trafford.
Moyes could be forced to turn to the former England captain for the home match against Fulham on Sunday with doubts over the fitness of Phil Jones and Jonny Evans.
Jones and Evans were both substituted during the first half of the weekend defeat at Stoke City due to injury. Evans is facing at least 10 days on the sidelines with a calf strain, while Jones will be assessed this week after losing consciousness following a clash of heads with Jon Walters.
Having spent three weeks overcoming a knee injury sustained in the FA Cup defeat against Swansea City last month, Ferdinand is now fit to challenge for a place in Moyes' team ahead of the match with the Premier League's bottom team.
But despite overlooking the former Leeds and West Ham centre-half – Ferdinand has made just two appearances in the past two months – Moyes insists the defender will play again this season.
"Rio is back training," Moyes said. "He is back and we will continue to use Rio at the right times and the right moments. He has made a great contribution especially, in the first half of the season."
Moyes' defensive option will be boosted against Fulham with Vidic due to return from suspension following a three-game ban.
(© Daily Telegraph, London)