Saturday 10 December 2016

Uefa risks backlash as Michel Platini tipped to receive seven-figure pay-off

Ben Rumsby

Published 20/09/2016 | 15:48

Michel Platini
Michel Platini

Michel Platini could receive a seven-figure pay-off from Uefa, despite being ousted as president for taking a £1.3 million suspected criminal payment.

  • Go To

European football’s governing body confirmed on Tuesday that the disgraced Platini’s remuneration would be addressed “in due course” following the election of Aleksander Čeferin as his successor last week.

Platini is not entitled to a golden handshake after being banned for four years for accepting a payment from Sepp Blatter which remains the subject of criminal proceedings in Switzerland.

But Uefa is considering rewarding nine years of service by the former France star, who had two-and-a-half years left on his term of office when Čeferin was elected.

The governing body said in a statement: “Former Uefa president Platini is no longer receiving a salary from Uefa.

“The overall matter of Mr Platini’s remuneration since his suspension began will be addressed by the Uefa executive committee in due course following advice and proposals from the newly-formed Uefa compensation committee and legal experts.”

Platini was paid around 2 million Swiss francs a year as Uefa president, ironically the same amount under investigation by Swiss prosecutors.

Uefa said in January he would continue to receive his salary “until further notice” after it emerged Fifa would pay Blatter until his successor as president was elected the following month.

Any pay-off for Platini would likely be met by outrage for campaigners for the reform of football’s governing bodies.

Uefa was criticised last week for inviting the 61-year-old to address the extraordinary congress at which Čeferin was elected his successor by a landslide.

Platini used the platform to protest his innocence and vow to continue to fight to clear his name having had his suspension reduced on appeal but not wiped out altogether.

Blatter is still awaiting the outcome of his appeal against his own six-year ban to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

Telegraph.co.uk

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport