How Cristiano Ronaldo can earn more than €230,000 per tweet
Published 04/09/2015 | 15:56
Football icons like Wayne Rooney, Cristiano Ronaldo and Neymar could earn thousands of pounds from sending out one advertising message on Twitter, according to researchers.
The rise and rise of social media platforms such as Twitter and Instagram has seen some of the biggest names in the game attract huge follower numbers in recent years.
Now that adoration could be converted into cold hard cash, with researchers Opendorse publishing a report suggesting the game's biggest star could command fees of up to quarter of a million euro FOR EACH TWEET from companies every time they send out a message about their brand.
Manchester United and England captain Wayne Rooney is the most popular Premier League soccer star with 11.8m followers on Twitter and that means companies could be willing to pay the star a massive €60.776 per tweet to promote their brand.
Arsenal midfielder Mesut Ozil is next on the popularity list in English football with a massive Twitter following of 9.88m, which could equate to €45,071 per tweet.
As for the top dog in this popularity list, well that prize goes to Real Madrid superstar Cristiano Ronaldo, whose 37.7m twitter followers means he could command a whopping €230.30 per tweet if he cashed in on his fame.
Sporting stars are now brands and that means advertisers want a piece of their fame. That comes at a cost, as this table confirms:
Here are the soccer icons with the most followers on Twitter
1. Cristiano Ronaldo - 37.7m followers (potential earnings €230,366 per tweet)
2. Neymar - 19.7m followers (€98,417 per tweet)
3. Wayne Rooney - 11.8m followers (€60,776 per tweet)
4. Mesut Ozil - 9.88m followers (€45,071 per tweet)
5. Radamel Falcao - 9.98m followers (€44,291 per tweet)
6. Sergio Aguero - 9.4m followers (€41,196 per tweet)
7. Cesc Fabregas - 7.97m followers (€33,355 per tweet)
8. Gareth Bale - 7.28m followers (€33,237 per tweet)
9. Luis Suarez - 5.56m followers (€26,325 per tweet)
10. Eden Hazard - 4.11m followers (€19,843 per tweet)