Osvaldo's Saints stay over
Published 31/01/2014 | 18:37
Dani Osvaldo's ill-fated five-month stay at Southampton is over, with the club-record signing joining Juventus on loan with a view to a permanent move.
Much had been expected of the 28-year-old after he swapped Roma for the south coast in August in a deal worth up to £14.6million.
The Italy international penned a four-year deal but has managed just 166 days at St Mary's, with Saints cutting their losses after an altercation with team-mate Jose Fonte last week.
"Juventus Football Club can today confirm that terms have been agreed with Southampton Football Club on a free loan deal for Pablo Daniel Osvaldo," the club said on their official website, www.juventus.com.
"The agreement also includes the option, to be exercised before May 13 2014, for the purchase of the player's full registration rights at a price of 19 million euros, to be paid over the course of three years."
That deal would be worth £15.6million to Southampton and Press Association Sport understands the reigning Serie A champions will pay his wages in full during the loan.
Osvaldo's departure will be a relief to Southampton, with manager Mauricio Pochettino admitting on Thursday that it would be hard for him to play for the club again.
The Saints boss worked with the Argentina-born striker for just over a season at Espanyol and, when he signed, was quick to reassure fans that the controversies that had dogged his career were over.
However, Osvaldo attacked popular defender Fonte during a session at the club's Staplewood training ground and was handed a two-week suspension by the club.
The incident saw his relationship with many in the dressing room become irreparable and made a January exit inevitable.
Juventus were the favourites for his signature from the outset and, having completed the move, Osvaldo wants to stay at in Turin for many years.
"I'm very happy," Osvaldo told the club's official website. "It's all been a bit of a whirlwind and I still can't quite believe it but I'm happy.
"It was pleasing when I first heard of Juventus' interest in me.
"When everything was completed last night I sat down and I couldn't believe it.
"As I said before, it's been a pretty hectic three or four days but I'm happy."
Osvaldo's departure is the last bit of transfer activity expected at St Mary's before the deadline, with Jason Puncheon's loan move to Crystal Palace made permanent earlier.
Pochettino had spoken about bringing a new face in earlier in the week, only for teenager Sam Gallagher's impressive senior debut in Tuesday's 2-2 draw with Arsenal to change his mind.
Despite failing to score, the 18-year-old led the line with aplomb against Arsenal and will be vying with the returning Rickie Lambert for a place in the side at Fulham on Saturday.
Press AssociationFollow @IndoSport